*Odd Googles
*About Me
*Photo Albums
*Make My Day
*My Linkers


*Adagio Teas
*Kasora Teas
*Lissa Explains
*1000 Journals
*Free Words
*20 Questions

Have you seen Leanna Warner?
Click on photo for more details.

Click for West Fargo, North Dakota Forecast

Recently shared thoughts

February LipService

26.02.02 @ 12:52
View my Guestbook
Free Guestbooks by

February LipService: Write about a time when it felt like there was electricity in the air.

1 a : a fundamental entity of nature consisting of negative and positive kinds, observable in the attractions and repulsions of bodies electrified by friction and in natural phenomena (as lightning or the aurora borealis), and usually utilized in the form of electric currents b : electric current or power
2 : a science that deals with the phenomena and laws of electricity
3 : keen contagious excitement
Both negative and positive, attraction and reuplsion, friction and nature: there is only one experience in my life in which all of these came to place at one singular moment in Cranky history.

I woke up that morning with a sharp pain in my abdomen. It felt amost like some one was trying to run my lower body thru one of those old fashioned clothes wringers (the kind with the two close rollers to squeeze all the water out of the clothes). At first I just ignored it and thought it was just more upset stomach issues. After about another half hour or so it became clear this was not just tummy troubles and I would definately need to get my self to the doctor NOW. I felt so many things I was giddy and panicky, happy and scared, excited and just plain freaked all at the same time. This was my first experience ever with child birth. I was 23, still slightly naive and about to be a mother for the very first time. I attempted to wake up Mike who had came in late from a long night of working and other things (involving his party friends and a serious case of bent elbow disease) but he was out colder than a dead body in the Arctic Circle. I tried everything short of setting his clothes on fire, but he would not move.

I managed to get my self dressed into something that I wouldn't die of embarassment in, were I to be stopped or wind up in labor someplace unplanned. Fortunately it was June , (Father's day even how is that for irony) and it was sunny and beautiful outside so driving was not that big of a deal. However it was also the Sunday that RiverFront Days or what ever they were calling it, was in full swing by the Dike West, which just happens to be right on the way from where we were living to the birthing center where I needed to be. At 6 am when I was heading out it wasn't much of a problem, how ever it does come in to play later in this little story.

I finally got to the center, actually part of Meritcare but the rooms don't look anything like hospital rooms, more like tacky bedrooms except with whirlpools and hospital style beds. Parked the car in the garage, completely forgetting any idea of where I parked it and made it in to the fourth floor. I checked in with the desk, and even though I was pre registered it still seemed like they needed everything but my great grandmothers third cousin's best friends maiden name in the original German. Unfortunately when you are starting to go into labor for the first time and there are complete strangers poking around your most privarte regions these are not questions that one can easily answer. After some examination and consulting the OB decided to help things along and they broke my water for me, seeing as it had decided that it didn't want to be broke. After that it felt like all hell broke loose in my body. To describe what I was feeling would require words that I am not sure the English language even has. All I can say is I now know what is it like to be folded, spindled and mutilated from the inside out. It didnt' help matter that my little boy, always the independant one had decided that if he was going to be forced to leave his cozy little place in the universe, it would not be with out protest. This included entering the world with his face turned the opposite direction. He was in no danger, however they did have a monitor connected to me to watch his heartbeat. If you have ever heard of such a thing as back labor, let me tell you labor doesnt' even begin to describe it. Picture someone rolling a steam roller back and forth over your tender areas and you get the drift.

Finally when it got to the point where I thought I was going to die, they came to my rescue. I am not sure looking back how I feel about this but I was connected up with a drug from heaven known as demerol. I still felt my pain, but my mind was now in orbit somewhere around Saturn and so I really no longer cared. I managed to make a few phone calls, I let my parents know (they immediately dropped everything and hit the road to Fargo), I called my jobs to let them know I wouldnt' be out for just a little while (sarcasm there ), and called a few friends who were shocked to get a call from a woman in the throws of labor. Meanwhile I tried pacing, sitting in the whirlpool (and discoving that bubblebath plus whirlpool equals very bad idea), and after several tries managed to inform Mike that in a few hours he would be a father. Of course he had already promised to finish some project for the people he was working for at the time, so he had to go out there. (I am sure he could have gotten out of it, its not like your girlfirend gives birth every damn day).

Finally around 3pm it became clear that it was time for me to meet the little person who had been making me throw up every other day for the last nine months. (well maybe not every other day, but it sured seemed like it). At around 3pm I started with the heavy duty labor and pushing, by 3:23 pm Warren Michael ******** was screaming bloody murder and I had a serious pulled muscle in my thigh as well as some moderate hemoraging, which meant I didn't even get to hold my baby right away. I did however roll ever and get to take a look at him . I had been convinced I was carrying a girl so I hadn't even thought of boy names really. I must have had some in the back of my head however as, when I saw him the first moment the name Warren Michael just came to my head. The first words I ever said to my son were , "Hi there Warren!!". Then he was whisked off to the nursery, and I was tended to by the nurses. (Did I mention that except for the nurses and doctores I had not a single person with me. Not Mike, not my parents not anybody, something I am still getting over my bitterness at, and really should have moved on from by now). Once I was taken care of I called Mike at work who was thrilled to death to have a son. He finished up his work and ran home to clean up. (he was working in a body shop at the time).

About and hour or two later he manged to get there. He had went home very shortly after I called, however the traffice from RiverFront Days bumper to bumper by that point. Eventually he made it, and later that day my parents also came just a few hours after Warren was born. Mike got to see him first (something else I am not thrilled about) and then when I was considered out of danger I got to hold my little 7 lb 4.25oz 191/2 inch bundle for the first time. The mixture of emotions I felt at that moment was so overwhelming I could not even speak. The happiest moment of my life was when I looked down at this gorgeous blue eyed bundle with the strawberry blonde baby fuzz and said the words my son for the first time. I was so excieted and happy and giddy I thought I was going to bust out of my own skin. I did not want to ever let him go or put him down. Before Warren was born I was sure I would return to work after a couple of months, now I felt that nothing man or else was going to come between me and my baby. The idea of being away for even a moment was agonziing. Before Warren I felt awkward about the idea of breastfeeding, now it just seemed like the natural thing to do. It wasn't easy at first, it took a while for us to get in sync and get worked out, but it certainly felt as normal as anything else I would normally do in a day. Falling asleep with a baby in my arms felt totally right, the idea of putting him someplace else just suddenly felt foreign. My maternal instincts kicked in to overdrive and so did my hormones.

Mike (much to his credit) actually spent the night in my room on a separate cot. He even made a run to SunMart to buy me a magazine and a big old hunk of Watermelon, which I had a sudden craving for. The hospital let new mothers have whatever they wanted after giving birth and I wanted Watermelon, so Mike bought me some and the hospital brought up some also. Mike even called me from the store to find out what magazine I wanted. One of the few nice things he ever did for me. Warren of course was perfect in every way. Looking at him now I find it hard to believe that he was ever THAT tiny. The whole time that day I just felt like I was totally wired. I would have been running around like a headless chicken had I been in any position to walk. I could not stop talking. I was prattling on a mile a minute to anyone who came into the room. For possibly the only day in our relationship Mike and I, actually had normal conversations and agreed on everything (almost). The whole room just seemed alive and electric, if I could have harnassed the energy around me at that moment I could have lit all of Fargo-Moorhead for a week. Hard to believe this all happened almost 9 years ago. To mean it seems like just last week. That is how fast the time has gone. I wish I had a digital copy of one of his baby pics, but I don't have a scanner. Now you know the whole dirty story of just how Warren Michael ******** made his entrance to the world. He had a loud opinion on the state of things then, and he still does. He even still has the strawberry fuzz, although it has turned into more of a big boy mop. My son.


Prequels ~ Sequels

Daily Dumbass:
Thankful For:
Music of the mind: :

~*~Have you read these~*~

~ Ode to a child who is no more ~
~ She's baaack ~
~ testing ~
~ Facebook me ~
~ Bleech ~

Layout copyright Me, Myself and I. Correct viewing of this site requires IE 5.0 or higher. Use of any other browser may result in unintended results.(Netscape 4.0 or higher is passable however I haven't yet been able to get it to look right in Firefox)

All contents, (except graphics) unless otherwise specified, are the property of TheCrankyOne. Please ask permission before using. Person's caught using pics of my son without permission will be severely dealth with. Graphics are courtesty of Full Moon Graphics. If you want to use them, ask Kitty not me..

Also this is my diary and if you don't like what you read, then I suggest you move on to another diary. I do not write to please others, I write for myself. If you don't like my diary it is your problem, not mine.
Any rude comments, spam, flames etc.. will be deleted as soon as I become aware of them. Also if you wish to comment please have the decency to leave a valid form of contact such as a web address or email, unless I happen to know you and would know who you are.

This Web site is Registered with

Creative Commons 

/> This work is licensed
under a Creative Commons License.


In every neighborhood there is at least one house that all the neighbors gossip about. This is a diary from the woman who lives in that house. I am a single mother in her mid thirties. I live in North Dakota with my son, Warren.

I tend to be a bit of a slob, and am the opposite of a girly-girl. I am geek girl, who loves Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Buffy, Angel, action movies, science fiction, action adventure, Dr. Who, and so on and so on.

I love to write and while I don't post much fiction online anymore I would love to be a writer someday. I am also overweight, bipolar and suffer from allergy induced asthma.